Monday, August 08, 2005

lessons learned

A lot has happened over the last few weeks. I’m single again. Not my choice, but single nevertheless. I also now have an enemy in Mark, my old roommate. He chose the dollar over a friend, and for the first time in a long time, a bridge has burned fairly spectacularly.

Mark is the gentleman-scholar who, for the past few years, has had trouble maintaining new friendships longer than the time it takes for his ego to really present itself. As a result, he seems to have burned more bridges lately than he has created or strengthened. This isn’t a loss on my part, but it’s not a pretty situation either. As long as I’ve known him, he’s been little more than polite to me, rude to my friends, has led a self-serving and cluttered life in San Francisco, and he is the reason I had to blow my one free weekend this summer ridding the apartment of, among other things, a several-year-old blanket of grease and dust. I was thinking about the series of Visa or Citibank ads preaching that quality of life ought to be held in higher regard than money spent in maintaining it. I believe these ads are targeted toward the Marks of the world; those who measure their success by the personal monetary value created by their decisions and actions. For me, the message is clear: stick to the fundamentals; family, love, friends, health… the things that have the biggest affect on happiness. In the end, he has vowed (threatened) to “teach me a lesson” out of this. What he may not realize is that I’ve already learned one much more valuable than the one he may have had in mind.

Speaking of spectacular fireballs, so ended the relationship with Lolita. In one week’s time, it went from love to “I can’t date you anymore, the distance and your traveling are too much for me”. The phone call came while out with some friends for the start of the North Beach Jazz Festival. She was nervous and had trouble spitting it out. I was a bit shocked, didn't say much other than, "okay, let me call you in a couple hours" and that was that. My messages went unanswered for a week. Since then, including during an awkward performance weekend in North Carolina, it’s been little communication if any. This one hurt. It’s taken every ounce within me to respect her wishes, but sometimes I can’t help but think “what the fuck?”. Of course, the sad irony here is with the conversation I had with Sally wherein I dealt her somewhat the same kind of blow. Yes, this was a bitter lesson in karma that I cannot dispute, but I am going to miss this girl for a good while.

1 comment:

I'mWithStupid said...

So, don't get all weird that I'm posting this comment.

Was having one of those Tuesday "holy shit there's too much to do today" zone out moments and somehow my mind wandered to these years. Then I wondered if your blog was still up, and amazingly it is. I swear, this is all random. Truthfully I also stalked another ex-boyfriend from that time of my life and researched properties in Puerto Rico this afternoon as well.

Then I got to reading this entry and winced. I thought, "Shit, this bitch is heartless." Soon after, I felt embarrassed of my behavior recalled in this entry.

Yes, I am aware that this issue has long since expired but I wanted to put this out there anyway:

For whatever it's worth, I'm sorry I treated you like that. You didn't deserve it. I was immature and careless. If anything, I should have at least talked to you after the break up and I shouldn't have avoided you like that after the fact. So what if it didn't work out? I could have at least respected you enough to close out the chapter properly. We're all adults, right? Looks like I wasn't. Didn't realize that until I looked back at this post and wanted to slap the shit out of my 2005 self for acting like a teenager.

Funny how these blog things become handy for reflection. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what I was thinking on this. Again, hope you don't get all weird. (And if this comment made you weird... Sorry about that. lol ::shrug:: Okay.)

Hope life is going well for you anyway! :)

Lo